Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Still Pedalling

I took the day off yesterday, so we have now arrived in  Lordsburg, New Mexico! It feels like were making some progress when we cross a state line. But getting back to yesterday, we made it out of Tucson O.K. except Monte and Dave ran into a dead end on the frontage road they were using just east of the city. Had to clime the fence! I saw the problem coming as I was on the Interstate, but I couldn't turn around to tell them about it. All worked out though, and we made it to Wilcox as scheduled. We got there a little late because the wind was still strong and from the south-east. In other words it was in the biker's face. We stayed at the home of Pastor Kyle Duncan and his wife and two teen boys. Another nice family who fed us and gave us a place to sleep. I was a little embarrassed that they made their eldest son give up his bed for me. Wilcox is a quite small town, and doesn't look overly prosperous. Kyle is a motorcycle biker, so I enjoyed seeing his "treasures".

We took off from Wilcox about 6:30 a.m. I guess.I had my first fresh cup of coffee with them since we left Phoenix. Yummy! My job was to get ice for the cooler while Monty and Dave pedaled down the road. They frequently stop and fill their containers with ice to drink while on the road, so ice in the cooler doesn't stay there long. I try to let them get a 5 mile start at least, and then pass them to the next "rest" stop which we try to make every 10 miles more or less, depending on where we can get off of the Interstate. Flat tires have been the cause of some delays today. Boy, those bike tires go flat if they run over a dime it seems like. I wondered why we took 100 spare tubes, but now I know why!

We're moteling it tonight. As much as we appreciate everyones hospitality, it is sure nice to be alone and not feeling like I'm in the way. Going to the bathroom whenever I want is great too! I wasted a lot of emotional energy today trying to figure out exactly where the motel was and the best route to get to it, and should we just get into town and load the bikes and find the motel in the truck. But when we got here this town is smaller than small and the bikes were ridden right up to the motel - about 1 block from the Interstate exit. The towns only restaurant (except for MacDonalds) is right across the street so we ate there. I had liver and onions, and Monty implied that no-one eats that stuff. But I did. GOOOD! I'm having problems with putting pictures in here, but I'm still working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment